Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Ankle Injury Prevention


Many people wonder what the most common basketball injury is, and how often it occurs.
Basketball is one of America’s favorite sports because it is fun but also because it requires so little equipment and it is inexpensive. The true cost of the sport may be the injuries in basketball, which happen because of the running, jumping, quick changing of direction, and physical contact. Ankle injuries are frequent.







A sprained ankle is an injury that occurs when you roll, twist or turn your ankle in an awkward way. This can stretch or tear ligaments that help hold your ankle bones together. Ligaments help stabilize joints, preventing excessive movement. It occurs when the ligaments are forced beyond their normal range of motion. Most sprained ankles involve injuries to the ligaments on the outer side of the ankle.













FACTS

According to a study in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, one out of every five athletic injuries is an ankle sprain, and 73 percent of all athletes suffer multiple ankle sprains during their careers. Due to the frequency of the injury, its severity is often ignored, which can result in lingering instability and pain that impairs performance.
                      Prevention
Miami Heat's Dwayne Wade doing his Strengthening routine.
To counter this trend, basketball players can employ preventative measures. Using a brace or tape for additional external support will reduce the number of ankle sprains. More important, integrating prehab exercises into your workouts will strengthen the stabilizing muscles, increase coordination and help your muscles develop the quick activation needed to protect your ankles while they support your bodyweight.
Personal Experience 
Being a basketball player, I know and have experienced many sprained ankles. It’s one of the most annoying injuries. I've missed many games due to ankle injuries. In my last day of practice before the regional championship game my senior year, I jumped for a rebound and landed on one of my teammates foot. I suffered a really bad sprain, and was forced to watch as my team won a nail biter.
To this day every time I suit up to play, I make sure I have my ankles are tape. It's not very comfortable, but it can help keep you on the court

1 comment:

  1. I like your emphasis on the frequency of ankle injuries. I think you could make a case that they're a big concern for athletes of all sports (perhaps not as much swimming/other water sports? I don't know too much about that; I can swim to survive and.. that's pretty much it), not just basketball. The most frustrating part, I think, is that weak ankles and stretched ligaments are very prone to re-injury.

    ReplyDelete