Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Plantar fasciitis


Plantar fasciitis is the most common cause of heel pain. Under your foot, there is a ligament called the plantar fascia that connects your heel bone to your toes. It supports the arch of the foot. It someone happens to strain that ligament, it can get weak, swollen or inflamed which results in a lot of pain. After that, the simple joy of walking can be very painful. Plantar fasciitis is very common in athletes, especially track runners, basketball and football players.
Plantar fasciitis is caused by the inflammation of the ligament that supports your foot arch. Repeated strains can lead to tiny tears which can cause excruciating pain. Here are some causes of plantar fasciitis:
  1. Flat feet or high arches
  2. Overweight
  3. Wearing shoes that don't fit or shoes that are worn out
  4. Walking, standing or running for long periods of time
Most people with Plantar fasciitis have pain when they take their first steps of the day. However, after a couple minutes of walking, the stiffness and  pain lessens and become bearable.
If diagnosed, the doctor will take X-rays and even a MRI to see if there are any tears or stress fracture. As far as treatment go, some work better than others for different people. The most common and recommended treatment is to rest the feet. Take time away from the activities that makes your foot hurt the most. Another treatment is to ice the feet. Icing will reduced pain and swelling. It's best to get a new pair of shoes with a great cushion sole and good arch support. Lastly, if the pain still exist, you may need to get custom made orthotics. By doing so, the sole is molded to your foot which gives the right arch support to your foot.
PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
During my second season playing college basketball, I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. It was by FAR the most annoying and painful discomfort I ever experienced. Waking up every morning was a struggle. The simple routine of waking up and going to the bathroom every morning was very painful for me. On top of that, I had to practice every single day which just added on the pain. I did every treatment you could think. I iced my feet daily, got massages and I even wore night splints (which makes the list of top 5 most uncomfortable things ever.) After months of pain, I went to the doctor and got an MRI. The results revealed that i had a partial tear in the ligament. It was a minor setback. It impacted my overall performance on the basketball court. After, I had got custom made orthotics. After a few weeks of wearing them my feet started to get better and better. Now i'm moving much better on the court. I wouldn't wish plantar fasciitis on anyone. It was truly the most painful thing I ever experienced.

1 comment: